The Louisiana Outdoor Writers Association (LOWA) exists to promote and enhance media coverage of nature-based outdoor activities in Louisiana. Many of our members are lifetime Anglers, Hunters, Environmentalists, Tour Operators, Radio & TV Broadcasters…all lovers of the great outdoors! Our members write for a variety of mediums (both locally and nationally) from Magazines & Newspapers to Websites & Social Media.
What We Do
As a non-profit professional improvement organization, we also:
- Facilitate the development of professional skills in the craft of outdoor communication.
- Assist members in making their outdoor communication businesses more efficient and profitable.
- Provide opportunities for communicators to network with others in their field or related fields.
- Promote conservation and wise use of fish, wildlife and other natural resources.
- Create opportunities for outdoor communicators to develop mutually productive relationships with individuals, firms and other entities that supply products and services useful for outdoor activities.
- Develop adherence to the highest ethical standards of the field.
- Engage members through our annual awards program: Excellence In Craft.
- Promote outdoor activities for youth including Youth Journalism, Youth Hunters and Youth Anglers award programs.
- Document and keep the Louisiana Fresh, Saltwater, Rod & Reel and Fly Fishing Records (since 1940).
- Radio & TV Broadcasting, as well as numerous internet video blog posts.